The A Nib Experience with Randall Hasson
A unique hybrid class hosted by Write On Calligraphers, Randall Hasson, and Sandia Workshops.
May 2 – June 5, 2021 | Online | Two Live Zoom Sessions & 3.5 hours or prerecorded lessons
You do NOT need to be a member of WOC to register.
NEW! Easy registration using your Credit Card, with immediately enrollment through Sandia Workshops! If you are already enrolled in the A Nib class, you can upgrade to this hybrid class for just $20 (please contact us for a coupon code).
We call this a “hybrid” class because it provides two private Live Classes (on Zoom) as well as access to The Speedball A Series Nib prerecorded class that you can watch as long as you like!
This allows for the best of two possible worlds: Live interaction with the instructor as well as plenty of time to practice at your own pace with no distractions (unless you have a cat). Lessons are recorded and edited with HD-quality video and audio, with handouts and demo pages provided in PDF format.
Below we will outline the schedule over the next few weeks. Please make a note of the various dates in your calendar so you don’t miss any opportunity.
Plus, Lisa Tsang from Write On Calligraphers guild is also planning three optional study sessions over Zoom (Tuesday, May 18 and 25, and June 1).
The most important dates are the two Live Zoom sessions with Randall Hasson: an introductory live session on Sunday, May 2, and a closing session on Saturday, June 5 (Note: moved up one day from June 6). (Please note the steps below for registration to obtain the live link.)
These live sessions will be recorded and the replays posted on your private WOC course page on the Sandia Workshops Courses site.
You will also be enrolled in The Speedball A Series Nib class where you can watch 3.5 hours of prerecorded lessons from Randall at your own pace. You can watch the A Nib class as often as you like, for as long as you like.
Registered students are also invited to share their progress with Randall’s via his private Facebook Group as well as at the closing Live Class on Zoom (June 6).
And the fun never ends: You will also be invited to Randall’s monthly live zoom sessions!
Calendar of Events
Registration for this hybrid workshop is easy via Sandia Workshops (Stripe checkout with a credit card). This will enroll you in the class immediately. Then look for your invite to the live session!
Materials: You only need a few supplies to get started. Please refer to the Materials section in the private course for a Materials List, the A Nib handout and a few lessons on paper and ink (these are all duplicated from the main A Nib class). John Neal Books also has this handy shopping page!
- Wednesday, April 28: You will receive an email inviting you to sign into Sandia Workshops Courses site and to set your password. You will need to be signed in to book your spot in the Live Class, watch the Zoom replays in the private class, and watch the A Nib class.
- Look for an email inviting you to Book a Spot in the Introductory Live Class on Sunday, May 2, at 10:00 AM PDT / 1:00 PM ET.
- Once you book your spot, you will immediately receive a confirmation email with a code to join the Zoom session. This code is unique to you. You will also receive a reminder 1 hour before the class starts.
- On Sunday, May 2, we will open the Zoom Waiting Room 15 minutes early. Locate the confirmation or reminder email and click the link, which will open a page in your web browser. Click the Join button to open Zoom.
[Note: If you arrive very early, you will see a countdown clock. If the clock fails to switch to the Join button 15 minutes beforehand, just Refresh your browser window.]
- Immediately after the Live Class, you will be enrolled in The Speedball A Series Nib class where you can follow the prerecorded lessons at your own pace. (If lessons are grayed out, make sure you are sign in, or Refresh your browser page.)
- The replay recording for the introductory Zoom class will be posted in the private class page within a day or so, in case you missed the live session.
- Tuesday, May 18: First of three Zoom study sessions with Lisa Tsang.
- Thursday, May 20, 10:00 AM PDT / 1:00 PM ET – Live Session: Randall hosts a monthly live session every third Thursday of the month for students in his Writing with a Bent Nib classes. You will also receive an invite to this Live Session a few days beforehand (same procedure outlined above). You can share your progress and ask questions along with other students, including those outside of your guild. You will continue to receive invites to this ongoing live class each month.
- Tuesday, May 25: Second of three study sessions with Lisa Tsang.
- Tuesday, June 1: Third of three study sessions with Lisa Tsang.
- Wednesday, June 2: Look for an email inviting you to Book a Spot in Randall’s Closing Live Class on Sunday, June 6, at 10:00 AM PDT (1:00 PM ET). Again, you will receive a confirmation email with the code to log into the class, along with a reminder.
- Saturday, June 5, the Waiting Room will open 15 minutes beforehand. Click the code in the email to join the Live Class, which will open Zoom application automatically. (You will know the drill by now!) This is a wrap-up class just for your guild, where you can show & share with Randall and ask more questions.
- After the closing Live Class, the replay will be posted within a day or so on the guild’s private Course page. You will continue to have access to the two Live Replays for at least a year, and to the prerecorded lessons in The Speedball A Series Nib class for the foreseeable future.
- There is NO time limit for you to watch The Speedball A Series Nib class. Revisit the lessons for as long as you like. When you finish a lesson, click Mark Complete so you can keep track of your progress.
- Facebook Group: We encourage enrolled students to join the Writing with a Bent Nib – Online Study Group to share images, ask questions, and learn from your fellow students. (This group is open to anyone enrolled in any of Randall’s classes, so you will meet students from other classes too.)
- Our Frequently Asked Questions includes more details of how our classes work.
- Before we go, remember to bookmark this page so you can find it again!
We know that there are many options for online classes, so thank you again for choosing Sandia Workshops. If you have any questions, please contact Trish Meyer at firstname.lastname@example.org – or call 505-286-0897 (Mountain Time).
A Bit of History & the Basic Strokes
Spurred Gothic Alphabet
Rennie Mackintosh Alphabet
The Speedball A Series Nib is the second class in the Writing with a Bent Nib five-part series by Randall Hasson. Learn more…
Randall M. Hasson is an artist, calligrapher, instructor and speaker who has appeared on the faculty of arts, lettering arts, and educational conferences in the United States, Canada and England. He owned and operated the Randall M. Hasson Gallery from 2000–2013 in San Diego, CA and Santa Fe, NM. He is the author of articles on a variety of art or lettering art related subjects and has appeared as a mainstage presenter and/or teacher with lecture topics covering public art, art history, the painting process, collaborative art projects, and the history of writing including the recent invention of the ADLaM alphabet in West Africa.
In 2015, Randall co-edited the 24th (Centennial) Edition of The Speedball Textbook. He is currently writing and designing his forthcoming book Teaching America How to Letter – The Speedball Story, a history of commercial lettering and American show card writing in the early 1900s. It is due to be published by Letterform Archive in 2020.
Writing with a Bent Nib will add new lettering techniques to your repertoire
The Speedball A Series Nib is the second class in the Writing with a Bent Nib five-part series by Randall Hasson. Learn more about the full series…
From vintage styles of the early 1900s to contemporary calligraphic work, the bent nib has amazing possibilities. In this five-part series, you will fall in love with the square, round and oval-shaped pen nibs as you learn to create lettering of all types – from elegant monoline scripts and italics and bold display faces, to blunt-edged and playful roman forms.
- Class 1 – Vintage Lettering Styles: You will start by gathering some historical context of the invention of the Speedball nib, and explore tools and techniques that created distinctive lettering styles and characteristics of commercial letterers in the 1920s and 30s.
- In Classes 2–4, you’ll use pen nibs developed with square-, round- and oval-shaped points as well as our familiar broad-edged tools. With Randall’s easy-going teaching style, you’ll quickly learn how to translate the traditional techniques of calligraphy and adapt them to lettering of the early 1920s, including ornate drawn alphabets and bold-faced display lettering using multiple strokes.
- In the final class of the Writing with a Bent Nib series, you will explore using these now-familiar bent nibs to create contemporary and inventive letterforms. By using pen lifts and pen manipulation, you’ll be surprised by the number of unique effects you can create with these historical tools – including scripts that mock brush lettering, and designs that use both bold and delicate abstract forms.
Randall Hasson offers an overview of the Writing with a Bent Nib Series which explores the possibilities of the square, round, and oval-shaped Speedball nibs. Subscribe to HassonStudio YouTube Channel for more videos.
Happy Holidays! Enjoy discounts on your favorite classes through 12/31/20!